Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Used to Weird

It’s snowing outside. Yes. You read me right. It’s snowing. It was 65 degrees outside yesterday, and today… white fluffs of iciness. It isn’t accumulating yet, but IT’S SNOWING!

I could complain, but this is normal. The problem is that we got used to weird weather. It’s been unseasonably warm here (Easter weekend saw temperatures in the 80’s!), and we fell for the tease. Now we’re in shock because things are normal.

I debated whether it was just too cheesy to make the comparison, but it simply has to be done.

I think that this may be the state of the American church. We’ve gotten used to weird. We define sacrifice as sitting in an airconditioned or heated room, on a padded pew (or chair, as the case may be), and listening to someone praise God in song without fear, and enjoying learning the Word of God from a pastor who has usually been the beneficiary of Biblical education. When we hear about someone making a real sacrifice, we act as if it’s shocking.

I’m not insulting the church. It’s not that I want to hear about churches burning their pews and standing through services in order to show their dedication. I just want to make sure that I stay aware of the fact that this is not normal. Suffering is normal. Sacrifice is normal. What we have is unfair. I hope and pray that we appreciate it, and that we seek ways to use our dollars, time, and effort to glorify the One from whom we have received it all.

For now I say, “Let it snow!” Maybe then I’ll appreciate the warmth of Easter.

No comments: