Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Inferiority to Men

Since my brother came to stay with us, I've noticed that I'm much more concerned about the goings-on of the sports world. My previous experience with our television was that it carried children's programming during the week and football on the weekends. As it turns out, it is possible to get sports news every minute of every day, though it does seem like they "break" the same story several times a day.

I've always been fascinated by the male fixation on sports. I honestly don't understand how they have such a natural fortitude for random statistics and strategy for sports to which they claim to be indifferent. My husband, for instance, always seems to know about breaking headlines in golf before ESPN reports them. How is it possible that he can remember who had the most homeruns in the 1936 World Series when he can't remember why he opened the refrigerator?

Please understand, I'm not insulting his forgetfulness. I consider "Fridge Amnesia" a pretty typical disease, of which I sometimes suffer. But how does he remember all that other stuff?

I will now do something very difficult, and admit that, on this one, men have me beat. I could study this stuff constantly, watch all the same things, read all the same news, but I'd never have the library of sports knowledge that they have. I know that there are some women out there who can do it, and to them I say: You go, girl! Represent us well.

No comments: