Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sharing

About a year ago, a major concern for DeLaynie's development is that she didn't show enough possessiveness over objects. In other words, she shared too well. This didn't really concern me, mind you. It concerned other people. I remember thinking, “Boy! There's a lose-lose situation. If she refuses to share, she's mean. If she readily shares, she's developmentally delayed.” (Yes, I actually thought, “Boy!”)

I am very proud to announce that DeLaynie has conquered this obstacle completely. I am equally proud to announce that Ella is way ahead of the game. We were congratulated on our daughters' above average possessiveness this morning by two separate groups.

This morning was DeLaynie's IEP (individualized education plan) meeting. One of the things that came up was that she has most definitely out-grown her previous apathy toward objects. We were glowing with pride, I tell you.

We had left Ella at a wonderful daycare run by a church family during the meeting (which greatly disappointed DeLaynie's therapists). When we arrived to pick her up, we were again congratulated on our daughter's outstanding development. She, too, has learned to communicate that she is particularly attached to certain objects. I was practically doing cartwheels.

It's all due to the practice that they put in at home. Particularly over a specific doll crib that they both want all. the. time. Ella likes to get in it. I'm not totally sure how she fits, but she does. DeLaynie, being the outside-the-box thinker that she is, likes to use it for dolls. Ella finds this to be a waste of a perfectly good napping spot.

So all of their work has not gone unnoticed. It's so nice to know that their efforts are finally paying off.

1 comment:

The Byrd's Nest said...

Your writing always brings a smile to my face....I can still remember the sound of your voice...so I can really hear you saying this:)

YAY FOR DELAYNIE!!!!!!!

As for us, Lottie is like Ella and has always known this. Poor Emma probably never did but the VERY FIRST night she was in our home...she and Lottie were fighting over a stacking cup and Lottie began screaming "Mine...Mine...Mine"....hence Emma's first English word came out....Mine:( lol

But over the years she never did care about "stuff" (of which I was also proud of) but now she is really beginning to be possessive which (like you) I am glad to see in her:)