Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"And If Our God is for Us"

As a Zumba instructor, it's my goal to make the steps simple enough and repetitive enough that new students can follow along and join in without losing the interest of the regulars. Praise music is similar in that it isn't a performance, but an encouragement to participate. Praise music is supposed to draw your mind upwards and encourage your heart to worship by thinking on the Object of your affection. Chris Tomlin has been proving his giftedness in this area for years.

This summer, my husband came in and said, "I put a new song on your iPod. You're going to like it." I'm generally territorial over my iPod. There aren't many things that are just mine, after all. Still, I trust my husband enough to know that if he says I'll like it, he's probably right. During that day's walk, I listened to a new praise song by Chris Tomlin. "Our God" swept me up immediately. The words were brilliantly woven into a song of worship that did a beautiful job of concentrating on Who it is we serve. I listened to it over and over, and decided that it was one of my favorite songs.

So when I was given the opportunity to listen to the newest studio album from Chris Tomlin (available today), I jumped on it. Chris Tomlin has never failed to create consistently biblical and emotionally balanced music that takes the listener and encourages him or her to become a worshiper. The most addictive song on And If Our God Is For Us (well, for me, anyway) is "I Will Follow." This declaration of surrender and loyalty has been stuck in my head since I first heard it. "No Chains on Me" is a fun celebration of the freedom we have received in Christ. I could go through each song and tell you all the things that I like about them, but that would take a while. I recommend listening to it for yourself.

The entire album is full of good, biblical, trustworthy music that will quickly draw you into participation. Although it isn't musically surprising or overwhelmingly impressive in performance, And If Our God Is For Us accomplishes the higher goal of worship music. Every song encourages worship by concentrating on the truth of our God.

I have my opinions, which are not available for purchase. I received no compensation for this review. I was given a cd so I could actually listen to it, but that's it. I enjoy letting you know when I find something that is beneficial, and I wouldn't lie to you for money. Period.

No comments: