Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hannah on Football

Not Hannah on a Football, which would look something like this:

(Pardon the cheese-factor. I'm pretty sure that my sanity is questionable at this point.)

I have been asked on a few occasions if my love for football is out of support for my husband, and I feel that it is now time to set the record straight.

When I first met my man, he hadn't seen an Alabama football game in FOUR YEARS! Four years! Not even an Iron Bowl, for goodness' sakes! I'm not totally sure how that's even possible, but he claimed that he was in high school the last time he had seen a game.

I, of course, found this repulsive, and quickly clued him in on the fact that Hannah's Saturdays are permanently booked. I watch Alabama play. Then I watch the rest of the SEC play. Then I watch the big name teams in other conferences. Then I watch whoever is playing in the NFL on Sunday. Then I talk about it all week.

When I think about football season, the song "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" comes to mind, my eyes light up, and I get giddy, which is really saying something for me. (I don't typically do giddy.)

What is it about football? I wish that I could somehow communicate what it is that makes me so happy when it comes to football, but I just can't. I simply love the game. I love that I understand such a large percentage of the rules. I love that I can be an expert on the subject up here at the crossroads of Hockeyville and Socceropolis. I love faked passes that manage to trick the announcers. I love bold statements in the big game. I love playing it smart and conservative just to crush the opposition in the end. I love the nervousness of being down by 6 in the last quarter. And I love the excitement of an amazing comeback. I love inspiring coaches, selfless players, and exuberant fans. I love the feeling I get when I walk into a college stadium. It's been a long time, but I remember it well.

All that being said, it's still just a game. A great game, but a game. It's a fun thing to do with my family on the weekends. It's something that I look forward to, and would certainly miss if it suddenly vanished.

But I don't need it.

I don't have to have it. There's only one part of my life that qualifies for such a level of distinction. I only need my Creator. I only need my God. I enjoy football, but it ain't got nothing on the Lord of lords and the King of kings. Football is a hobby. Jesus is the driving force of my life, choosing how I spend my time, how I love, and how I give.

Only He gets to do that. Only He should do that. Only He is worthy of praise. Only He is good. Only He is precious. Only He is God!

Don't be confused. Football is a game. Jesus is God Himself.

No comments: