Monday, October 17, 2011

Vacating the Scene

I know that I've been MIA lately. This is partially due to the fact that I've been ill with something that doesn't seem to want to move on. It's probably just a bad case of strep throat, so I should be feeling better soon. I guess that the best way to get back into the swing of things is to just jump right in, so...

Edwin and I realized  that we had never taken a real family vacation. We'd left the girls with grandparents and gone on trips, but we'd never taken them anywhere. It was with this realization that we pulled out the school calendar and looked for the first break long enough for some sort of vacation. We decided that the Native American Day/ Columbus Day break would work if we let DeLaynie skip an extra day of school. So we found a rental house in Niagara Falls, Ontario and set out on our first family vacation.


These are the American falls. They're much smaller than the Canadian falls. The little boat is the Maid of the Mist, which takes you right up to Niagara Falls. We took a ride, and I got a couple of pictures. That mist is thick, though, and my camera only took a couple of pictures of the main falls because the lense got wet faster than I could wipe it off.

DeLaynie loved the boat experience, but I've never heard Ella so terrified. She screamed and cried with unprecidented intensity. Five minutes off the boat, though, and she claimed that the boat ride was her favorite part of the trip.


The girls both loved looking at the falls. The view was nothing short of spectacular, and the best part of the experience was watching them marvel at it.