Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mama's New Toy

There is something that I have wanted for a while now. It's nothing fancy or extravagant, but it isn't indispensable, either. It's not something that I would buy for myself. Imagine my excitement when I walked into the bank to pick out our free gift for opening an account, and there it was!


My very first waffle iron!

Yes, that's right. I am now the owner of a perfectly calibrated warm and crispy goodness machine.

I'm not the only Attaway positively thrilled by the newest addition to our family.

Ella's a pretty passionate fan of it, too...

As you can probably tell by those cheeks.

Many of the locals here make their own syrup, making it all the more tempting to iron some waffles. I've tried out two recipes so far, and Bisquick is currently in the lead. Do you have an absolutely to-die-for waffle recipe? I want to hear it! I am on a mission to find the very best waffle recipe of all time. I sure hope you good people have some. I need an excuse to make waffles for dinner :).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah, congratulations on your new waffle iron. I like the pancake/waffle mix sold at Sam's stores. Comes in a blue and white bag. Don't know if you have a Sam's nearby or not, and the Bisquick recipe may be just as good. Have fun with your new "toy". Do you get the Vermont maple syrup there? Best wishes.
Judy Dennis

David and Katie Kizziah said...

God is kind and loves to bless His children! Enjoy your toy . . . and some homemade syrup - yum! I will let you know if i hear of any good recipes :)
(Ella is toooo cute!)

The Byrd's Nest said...

How did I know my baby would love waffles??? LOL

At first, I thought it was a gigantic crock pot!

I have used this one before:
NGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 3 egg yolks
* 2 cups buttermilk
* 3 egg whites



DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat waffle iron. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Blend in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
3. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
4. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray, or lightly brush with oil. Ladle the batter onto preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.

The Byrd's Nest said...

by the way....I love
allrecipes.com!