Friday, February 27, 2009

I've Been Skyped!

A few long-distance friends compelled Edwin and me to get on Skype. It took us a while, for what reason, I do not know, to get signed up, but we had our first conference call last night. Six of us (well, five once Edwin went to bed) talked for about an hour and a half. It was fun... and free! One couple was in Texas, another in North Carolina, and there we were, having a conversation. It was such an odd experience, especially when trying to differentiate between speakers.

Video calls are reserved to two parties, so we couldn't see each other during the conference call. The nice thing about the video call is that you can see when you're boring the other person to death, when you've offended them, or when they are really enjoying the discussion. I've always felt a bit disadvantaged at understanding someone over the phone, which is why I don't talk on the phone much. I'm always fearful of hurting someone's feelings and not realizing it. The video component on Skype drastically improves my confidence in phone conversation.

It'a nice preview of my future overseas, getting connected to people I care about via this electronice contraption called a computer. You know, if I were someone else I might try to warn you of the impending takeover of the electronic devices that we believe are under our control. But I am me, and will therefore stay away from such crack-pot theories.

So I am now more connected with the universe, or something like that. How incredibly average am I?

No comments: