Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Broke Down

I took Ella to the doctor. She'd had a cold for a week. I wish that I'd waited one more day and taken her to the doctor I see here in town, but we thought that it was important to go ahead and get some meds into her system.

I hate going to the doctor. I have no problem in going myself. It's taking the kids that irks me. Not only is the experience a generally miserable one, they always seem to come out sicker than when they went in. I don't know where the cycle starts and ends, but it seems like there are kids who are always at the doctor, and they seem to get sick more and stay sick longer. The easiest thing to believe is that they go to the doctor because they're sick, but I'm not sure that it doesn't work the other way around. Maybe they get sick because they go to the doctor and are always on antibiotics. I don't know. I just feel like it's a theory worth the try.

Well, I finally just went. I hardly even saw the doctor. We mostly dealt with a med student, who was very nice, but I didn't get much information from her. It wasn't until I had the meds in my hands that I realized that they had given her a steroid. Ella's ten months old, so this was scary to me. I don't even like giving them antibiotics. Steroids keep them awake, and they tend to be irritable and eat more. (B.Wal referred to a steroid her son was on as "Satan Medicine".) The very last thing that Ella needs is to eat more. Still, the med student, who was very nice, mentioned in passing that she has bronchitis, so I felt like it was probably necessary to give her the steroid.

The good news is that they did give her something to actually make her feel better. Her nose is raw from all of the wiping, and they took everything off the market that could actually fix it because some people simply refused to follow directions. (I'm most definitely not anti-medication.) It's like being in elementary school, when no one gets to have a cookie because a few of the kids thought it would be fun to crush them into the carpet. Some people just have to ruin it for everybody.

No comments: