Thursday, January 29, 2009

Special Edition: Thankful Thursday

Many Christian bloggers have a weekly column called "Thankful Thursday," most notably, Rachel. I stay away from weekly columns due to the fact that I have a hard time remembering what day of the week it is. Today just so happens to be Thursday, though, and it just so happens that there is something for which I am especially grateful. Therefore, I hereby proclaim today "Thankful Thursday."



So what is it that I am so grateful for in this very special edition of Year 24? It might sound a little odd to you, but I am grateful that our God is not a god of checklists. It comes from the fact that I've been thinking about DeLaynie and her development quite a bit lately. She isn't doing poorly, in fact, she didn't even qualify for Alabama's early intervention program (because she is doing so well). I'm not really sure why it's been on my mind so much lately, but it has.


I've tried to make the delay disappear, I've tried explaining how her mind works, and I've tried listing her strengths out of a desire to make her weaknesses go away. This is a natural way of doing things, but why would I do things naturally when I have a supernatural relationship with the King of Kings?

I'm grateful that God isn't sitting on His throne comparing one child to another, and I'm grateful that I don't have to either. God's design for a child is not a reflection on the quality of the mother, but on the greatness of our God. I don't know what's ahead for DeLaynie, but I have an inclination to believe that there are a couple of Goliaths that her way of hearing and feeling things are going to enable her to slay with Christ's strength. I don't want to miss that because I'm too busy worrying about her normality.

I admit that I long to have a full, meaningful conversation with my daughter, but when that day comes, I look forward to hearing about the way things seem to her. I can hardly wait to understand her better, but I want to understand her for who she is. This precious one has so much to offer the world that I can't even begin to comprehend it. I'm grateful that there is no such thing as a mistake in God's design. I'm grateful that mommy's little masterpiece is in the hands of the Great Artist. I may not always understand His perspective, but I will one day. On that day, the weaknesses of both of my children will be revealed in the light of His grace.

There's one more thing that I'm especially grateful for today. I'm grateful that this parenting gig isn't left up to us alone. Edwin and I have the sheer joy of teaching the girls about a mighty Warrior who is fighting on the side of those who love Him. At the end of the days when it seems too hard, we can sit in the lap of the Father of all Comfort. When I'm concerned for the health of my children, I can take it to the Great Physician. The greatest goal that we have as parents is to guide them to the Truth that can bring them the joy of knowing their Creator with the intimacy that is available to His children. I'm grateful for a husband who sees this goal as a family affair. I'm grateful for this life, for this responsibility, for the road that lay ahead. I'm grateful that God is ahead of me every step of the way. And above all, I am grateful that whatever happens, He will be glorified.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Great post!!! And good thoughts about how we should view our children. Sorry I have been taking a sabbatical from TT and don't have it to link into - this is a good one!!

Unknown said...

And I am very thankful for you. I love you and am so glad you are my wife!