Friday, May 15, 2009

All Those Things A Woman's Supposed to Know

Like sewing, cooking from scratch, how to remove stains, how to make things grow from seeds, dirt, and water... you know, all that stuff. I don't know it. I can cook a few things. I can sew a button on , as long as you don't need it to be straight or anything. Stains... well, if Oxi-Clean can't do it, forget it! As for growing plants, I have no desire. I might be capable, but out of all of the things that need to be done, that just isn't one of them. (I'm glad that there are people out there who do grow things, especially farmers. Without them, I couldn't get much to eat.)

A friend of mine posted a comment on my last post about the things she's learned since I left. It got me thinking about the things that I may find to be pretty useful when overseas. They have an entire quad (4 family housing) dedicated to quilting here at the missionary training center. I keep meaning to go in there. DeLaynie has two dresses with popped hems. I have a dress that could use some alterations. I figure that I could go in there, and one of the oh-so-talented ladies who volunteer in the quilting quad would show me the ropes. But there's just so much to do!

There is still hope. Progress emerges from an array from situations. Tonight in Wal-Mart I saw a lovely Muslim woman wearing the traditionally accepted clothing for American Muslim women: a long dress and a head scarf. Peeking out from under that scarf, however, was a blue tooth headset! See? There is still hope for me. She found her motivation in a desire to chat. My desire is to improve myself... and feed my family while in another country. That should be at least as powerful, right?

No comments: