Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Where in the World?

As the IMB conference comes barreling closer and closer, Edwin and I are confronted by a very interesting question: "Where in the world do we want to go?" Most people never have the opportunity to contemplate such a question.

I want to go to Latin America, but not really because I have a specific calling. I like the language. I think that it would be fun to learn it. I also feel guilty about the idea of making a child with a language issue, minor as it is, learn another language, like Hungarian, when she has a far better than average grasp of Spanish, thanks to Dora. There is one job that Edwin is really interested in that is in a Hispanic country.

He, however, is more interested in Asia. Those languages are harder, and lots of the Asian countries have several languages. I get a little nervous about the idea of a country where women are supposed to be silent. It's not that I'm completely incapable of keeping my mouth shut, but I'm afraid that I'll forget myself and end up in prison. I'm not totally sure I want to raise two little girls in that kind of society, either. I am willing to look into it, and there are some good-looking jobs in Asia. It all depends on the country.

I guess that it all comes down to what God wants from us. I'm not dead-set against anything, and I'm just praying that God will give us wisdom and a will to follow wherever it is that He wants us to go. I'm jazzed about going and hearing more about what is out there. I get more excited about the path in front of us with each day. Pray that we will have a clear leading to a particular job and area, and that God will prepare our hearts for the work ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am excited to be be making friends with you! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I have always wanted to go to africa. WE got to do a short visit there a year ago and it was awesome. I will pray for you and am sure you will feel very "planted" wherever you land:)