Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mommy's Little Helper

I've seen children who want to help their mommies. They pick up the crackers on the floor, get a diaper for their little brothers or sisters, or they "help" clean the windows. DeLaynie has never been one of those children. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of developmental delay and personality. I've tried to console myself by saying things like, "Toddlers just make more work when they try to help," but I never believed that.

Little De has come a long way. Today she wiped off Ella's mouth. It's become a normal part of her routine to wipe the spit-up off the floor, an inevitable part of each feeding. She's pretty good at it too.

I'm very proud of my helper. I think she's proud of herself too, since she'll tell herself "good job" after completing a task. She's never lacked confidence. And that makes me very happy.

No comments: