Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why I Stay at Home

I am not going to guilt-trip working moms in this blog. I respect every woman's "right to choose" in this area. It's a difficult decision, and we all do what we believe is best for our children.

I am not a woman that you meet and think, "Man, her kids are sooo lucky to have her at home with them." I'm not a fabulous cook, though my family rarely complains. I'm not crafty. The house is almost never clean. I am not a person that loves being a housewife. I don't plan to home-school, but not because I don't think it's a good idea. It's a wonderful plan, but I simply can't do it. I want to get out of the house and make some moo-lah in the future. I'm the kind of person who could use a physical reminder of the value of what I do.

Now, that's clear enough. With that part behind us, I want to tell you why it is that I choose to stay home. My mom made these lessons clear to me, though not by word, as I was growing up, and they have become a part of who I am now.
  1. I don't trust other people to raise my children. I've worked in daycares, above average ones, and I just don't want under-trained, under-paid people raising my kids. I can barely handle two, and they're expected to care for six toddlers per person. No matter how great the childcare, there is no way that they can love my kids like I do!
  2. No one can predict when the important moments are going to happen, and I plan on being there for them. Yesterday DeLaynie picked up our old camera and went around the house saying, "Cheese!" She even knew how to take pictures and turn it on and off. She's started singing and playing her keyboard.(Look out, Barlow Girl!) Ella started staring at the trees overhead with wonder as we were walking the other day. She was so impressed by them that even I had to look up and see what was going on up there. She was right; it was really beautiful. She's also pushing up, and she looks like she plans to start crawling fairly soon. Who knows when that will happen? I've gotten to be there for those happy moments, as well as for the sad ones, because I was here. There just isn't enough money in the world to pay for that.
  3. My kids aren't going to remember what I get them for Christmas this year. They aren't going to be impressed by my choice in car or clothing. They have never gone hungry, cold, or without any need, so we're doing fine financially.
  4. Finally, I stay at home because I haven't been called to do anything else yet. God hasn't moved me. He will when He wants to, if He ever does.
I love being a full-time mommy. This is exactly where I want to be for right now. This is the only job I want for right now. Every mom is different, and every family is different, but for me, at this place in time, I'm where I should be.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I hear ya! I, too, feel that I won't be winning any housewife of the year awards anytime soon, but I can't imagine leaving Eli right now.