Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We've Been Shot!

By a photographer, that is. Namely, by Samantha at His Hands Photographs. I was looking for someone to take a decent family photo for our prayer card, and I came across their website through a listing service.

To be completely honest, I've been really jazzed about this photo shoot for a long time. It may be one of the most exciting parts of this particular phase of the missionary journey. Yes, I know. Between the fact that my greatest concern is a lack of Fizz-Ease and the fact that I'm intensely excited about having a professional photograph taken, it may seem that I'm a tad-bit vain. I probably am, but we haven't had any professional photos taken as a family since the wedding, and Ella hasn't had any... ever!

Back to the photo shoot... Samantha was very, very patient, and very sweet. She put up with DeLaynie far better than I did, and I am confident that we are going to have some beautiful pictures as a result. She is what is called a lifestyle photographer. That means that she doesn't shoot in a studio, but outdoors, for the most part. I prefer that type of photography, personally. I dare you to try to get DeLaynie and Ella sitting still for two minutes simultaneously when there's a camera in the room. Not gonna happen.

When looking for a photographer, I came across them by name, and I figured that the "His" in the name may be a certain Him that I know pretty well. (You know, God. Yeah, that Him.) I went to their website, and saw tons of beautiful pictures of children that are about DeLaynie's age, and the information under "Who Are We" was written in a wonderfully witty style. You may not choose a photographer based on witty writing, but it's a big draw for me. After emailing them with an explanation about what I wanted a photo for, Samantha wrote me back and told me that she and her husband have a real heart for missions, and they work to use their gifts as a ministry. They especially want to take photos in third-world countries and print the Gospel on the back. Needless to say, I was hooked.

The experience was a wonderful one. I greatly, GREATLY, appreciate Samantha's hard work. I also wanted to let all of you know in case anyone in the Birmingham area (or anyone who can get to Birmingham) is looking for a really good photographer who isn't going to yell at your kids. Again, their website can be found here. Be sure to check them out, and check back here because I'll be posting some of the photos when I get them!

No comments: