Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Dad and His Sayings: Part 1

My Dad is a man of sayings. Micah and I quote him on a regular basis, as does my mom. For just about any situation, he has a saying. I thought that it might be fun to pass some of them along to you, just in case you're short a saying or two.

"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." I heard this almost every time that I packed for anything. I didn't understand it until I was much older. I use it a lot with Edwin. He's the type that packs for a week with a backpack, and he always needs something that he deemed unnecessary at home. Maybe he'll learn one day.

"Every girl is prettier with a smile." I got this one when I was getting ready to go somewhere that I was nervous about, a common experience. When I get really nervous in a new situation, I get very serious looking, and that is a scary sight.

"What you grow up with is normal." Something every newlywed needs to remember. Edwin and I have two very different ideas of how a towel should be folded. Some people think thin spaghetti is the only kind, but I find it an odd choice. For some people, a good yell is cleansing, but some people just don't know how to handle a raised voice, even if it's not toward them.

"Sometimes people learn the wrong lessons from life." This is one of my favorites. Experience itself isn't enough to create wisdom. Only when we look at our experiences through the lens of the Bible are we able to develop a real understanding of how we are to live and how to relate to one another.

There are many more, but I'll save them for another day. Have a super fabulous day!

No comments: