Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Just Want To Use My Alarm Clock!

It will play whichever track on a cd I want instead of a loud and obnoxious bell or buzz. It can start out quiet, and slowly get louder and louder, so that I wake up gradually. It has a neat weekend setting that I still haven't figured out, and I've had it for seven years. It's set for 8:10 a.m. I've figured out with some crude mathematical calculations that this is the latest time that I can get up and get DeLaynie to school without a total frenzy, as long as everything is ready (and it always is). Every night I go to bed thinking (and I must admit, praying) that the girls will sleep late, and I will wake up to the sound of BarlowGirl, not crying or chatter.


It hasn't happened in a very long time. The girls that I have worked so hard to train to be night owls, are early birds. I think that it must be our fault. Without realizing it, our schedule has changed. Edwin's job requires him to be there at 7 a.m., so we're in the bed, at the absolute latest, by eleven. That used to be our "going to bed early". The girls have been going to bed at some time between eight and nine most nights. I realize now that a few months ago we never, ever would have put them to bed before nine. What have we done?!

It's probably a good thing. You know, all that "early to bed, early to rise" stuff. That's not to mention the fact that our days will begin at about 7 a.m. at missionary training. Still, I find myself fighting to stay asleep for just a few minutes more each and every morning. And each and every morning, I lose.

No comments: